Thursday 17 February 2011

Cigarettes

I received a package with some of Lou's things from his mother, Jean, yesterday. It included a couple of his beautiful Tunisian tiles, which I expected, but also the black bag he always carried with some of its contents, including a little notebook, dental floss, and a pack of cigarettes, which Jean always referred to as Lou's "ciggies." (Was he carrying the bag when he died? How awful or, maybe, how wonderful that I have something that was literally on him during the last minutes of his life . . . .) I've hung the tiles. They're small, simple, and very beautiful. Catch and play with the light in a delightful way. Have left the cigarette pack on my coffee table. Feel's like he's out on the balcony grabbing a smoke . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Tom, your words are so moving. I am imagining the tiles, the light, the ciggies...
    Will have some turkish tea with sugar, that will be my Louish action to finish the day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom and Renata both of you are making me tear up.

    I'm in NY and will try to go to as many museums as I can in the three days I am here - I won't manage 5 a day but will do my best to be Louish here in the city.
    Emily K

    ReplyDelete