Wednesday 19 January 2011

Everything was Lou-Lou ful at the ballet

Lou and I went to the ballet a LOT! I was so thrilled to have found somebody who shared such a deep interest in ballet and who knew so much. He could discuss the history of various productions, the nature of certain companies and the personal lives of the ballerinas. We used to elbow each other at the more difficult technical parts, including the last promenades in the Rose Adagio and the beginning of the Willis hop. We made fools of ourselves snickering when the corps were overly loud in that last one. Sometimes we argued about the merits of particular ballets. He had a greater appreciation for certain modern pieces than I did. We both adored the classic works such as Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty and carefully evaluated the success of the different productions. His background in set design gave him an ability to see far beyond the dancing and I was so lucky to get his insights.

I realize that there will be more Rose Adagios in my life and more loud Willis, but there will never be another Lou. What I'm going to miss will be our ballet rituals- the shared glass of wine, the cinnamon Altoids, and the cheerful discussion of the other women's shoes. I hope that everybody in the world has somebody like Lou in their lives- somebody who shares a deep interest of yours and who rejoices in sharing it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment